Sunday 11 July 2010

Why Blog?

Having read numerous other blogs on the net, the single question I still ask is why do people actually write blogs? Who reads them and what do they actually say about the writer. I still have no idea! But, in thinking about the questions I thought, why not?

So what is this about? Literally anything, but probably bike or motor orientated with the odd rant thrown in, hey... It’s my age!! It isn’t really about life day to day; I live a pretty normal life in a normal place and bimble along. It isn’t about work, my job isn’t that exciting, although it does provide plenty of subject matter for ranting, but it isn’t really worth writing much about. So what actually is it about...?

Old bikes!! I own 4, well maybe 5 if you count the one farmed out in another friend’s garage - a common phenomena, so I hear, that seems to afflict older bike enthusiasts. There is a 1956 AJS 16M, looks like a wreck but goes well and gets used for trials; a 1960 Triumph 5T that is being slowly turned from a cooking bike to a cafe style bike. Two Yamahas, an XT600 – pretty early, kick start only with long range tanks and really slack chain! And, and FZR400RR, actually quite a buzzy little bike that is fun, way too small for me and hasn’t run for 2 years... Finally the day to day bike, a BMW R100GS, older GS’s have that kind of ugly / beautiful thing going on, although probably more ugly than beautiful! What they certainly are is purposeful, they run and run... And leak! When the camera is sorted they will all be properly introduced. It won’t all be bikes and petrol; there will be music, discussion and anything else that comes to mind whilst in front of the keyboard.

Through this I’ll chronicle the ‘joys’ of keeping them in the road, as it stands only two of them a legal and one of those only has one wheel, something of fundamental flaw when it comes to a bike! As it goes on, and if anyone actually reads this or begins to answer the opening questions, feel free to leave comments and suggestions; even if it is simply to tell me to shut up or point out my total lack of mechanical skill!! Hopefully, this blog will chronicle the victory of optimism over talent... The optimistic biker!

No comments:

Post a Comment