Monday 20 September 2010

5TA Impressions

The Ace Cafe day was great, if a bit damp! Hopefully the pictures give an impression of the day. To get to and from the Ace I had a 100 mile ride which was really good for giving the bike a bit of shake down following the work on it. Overall the bike ran brilliantly, it isn't fast but it was fine on the road and the smaller front wheel together with the Avon tyres seemed to dial out any evil handling woes...

But there were problems. First the speedo conked out, having pulled it apart I can see that the internals of the unit work and all the cogs turn so I am fairly certain that the fault is either in the cable or the rear wheel mounted drive unit. I will have to replace them as its an MOT failure if the speedo is not working. Second, the front forks, despite being rebuilt, are still a bit limited. They are the original internal spring forks and are well known for bottoming out fairly regularly. So with this in mind I have bought all the parts to convert to later shuttle valve, external spring forks. I have just about built them up which was a pretty easy job. Next job is to take the old forks out of the yokes and replace with the new ones, not difficult but a bit of a pain...

Aside from that it seems fine!! Also, the fork transplant means that I now have a full 5TA front end - yokes, bars, wheel, brake etc; so I'm on the look out for a ridgid frame, I feel a bobber coming on...!

No comments:

Post a Comment